ove thDesperado High Speed Trolling Lures are one of our bestselling items. This lure uses a proprietary multi-frequency rattle irresistible to wahoo. It runs straight up to 15 knots meaning wahoo will chase it all day long. Desperados hold up to the hardest of strikes, still standing strong because they are made with extremely durable construction. Since the lure uses swiveling hook hangers for maximum catch capacity, this lure keeps hooked fish on the line.
- Length: 7.5 inches
- Weight: 7 oz
A few of the color combos:
Purple and Black- “Magbay Special”
This dark purple and black lure is perhaps the most famous color combo of all time for wahoo. As a result, it is an absolute must-have if wahoo is the target. Since the wahoo are probably thickest in the world in Magdalena Bay, this is our special lure.
Pink and White- “Lady Magdalena”
It was obvious over the years that pink lures are often the first to get hit. We tested this lure to the extremes, and turns ocean wahoo to boat Wahoo every time. Lady Magdalena may or may not be married to Jesus, but she sure will catch a boat load of fish.
Orange and Black- “Tequila Sunrise”
Dawn’s first light in Mag Bay seemed a fitting name for this bright orange desperado lure. In search of the best of all time, this one is pretty close. We saw this lure struck 5 times in a row, with nothing else hit in the spread. “Wahoo-prenuers” love it. For some reason, wahoo go crazy for this lure at times, and if it’s hot, it’s hot.
Red and Black- “Bloody Mary”
The Magbay Desperado is a popular lure for targeting wahoo, and there are several reasons why it is so effective:
- Design: The Desperado is designed to create a tight, erratic action in the water, which mimics the movements of a wounded or distressed baitfish. This action can be particularly attractive to wahoo, which are known for their aggressive feeding behavior and willingness to strike fast-moving prey.
- Durability: The Desperado is made with high-quality materials, including a stainless steel head and a durable skirt, which can withstand the tough conditions and hard fighting of wahoo fishing. This durability ensures that the lure can stand up to repeated use and continue to attract fish over time.
- Color: The Desperado is available in a range of colors, including purple and black, which are known to be effective for targeting wahoo. The lure’s bright colors and realistic appearance make it particularly attractive to these game fish.
- Weight: The Desperado is a heavy lure, which allows it to be fished at high speeds without losing its action or control. This is particularly important when targeting wahoo, which are known for their fast swimming speeds and the need for quick, decisive strikes.
- Versatility: While the Desperado is primarily designed for wahoo fishing, it can also be effective for targeting other species, such as tuna and dorado. Its versatile design and action make it a popular choice among anglers who are looking to catch a variety of game fish.
Overall, the Magbay Desperado is a highly effective wahoo lure that is prized for its tight action, durability, color, weight, and versatility. Anglers who are looking to catch these fast and elusive game fish would do well to add this lure to their tackle box.
Center Spread, Troll right past white water.
Used on a trip in September and I will now never go on a trip without one. This lure alone landed 6 wahoo before a bull dorado smashed it on the deck, but wow what a lure.
The mexican hooker is amazing, and the lure works pretty good too.
Should be Called Cabo Special I used this guy out of Cabo last week and it tore up alot of fish. We kept it out the whole time we were trolling because results continued to come. We had at least 1 dorado on it, several wahoo, a bunch of skipjack which we were surprised about as we had feathers out as well but skippies kept hitting this one. Something about it makes the fish go for it for sure. Great lure and high quality as well, even after the wahoo there is only some scratches, etc but still runs fine.
Man this little guy freakin works. They told me to troll center right past our wake and I swear we had about 3 strikes to 1 on any other option out there. We landed 4 wahoo and 3 of them were on baja mama. I will always have this lure with me. Thanks
Yes I have used pink for years and years. This lure runs well, can take a beating, and is a great all round lure for wahoo. I like purple and pink for wahoo.
Capt Rich –
Good evening MagBay Wanted to touch base with you on some of our trips offshore this week. I have never pulled the smaller lures of yours but figured we would give a few of them a shot. We got a few smaller hoos and the mahi were all over the Baja Mama including a 60+ pounder. They pulled well and have been showing them off to many other captains who I’ve sent to your website. The stickers you sent were a little on the smaller end to be seen from anything farther than 15-20 feet away but as I said before I am having a larger one done to match the other pro staffers. Here’s a nice pic of our big mahi. Tight Lines Team Hook & Hunt Capt Rich
First day tolling that pink Magdalena lure I ordered last week landed a 18 lb dolphin and had a hoo get off boat side very impressed with the lure.
Refugio Carrasco –
Nice finish on lure and even better it tracks straight with no issues and great action.
8 knots, wahoo on deck every time. Love that pink one too.
Tom Honaker –
Hello, my name is Tom Honaker, I’m a avid long range fishermen. Worked on long range boats out of San Diego for 30 years. I just got back from a 10 day trip, the orange black/ purple black desperado got bit better than anything else! 5-1, they swim great! I’m only emailing you, to let you know, we had problems with the split rings.lost the front hook on both lures. I believe you have a great product, the crew even commented on how well they got bit. I’m buying more of them, but going to have welded rings put on them. Im not criticizing youre product, just letting you know my opinion as a professional fisherman. You resolve that problem, you may have the best wahoo trolling plug ever! The crew of the Royal Star really likes them, get that issue fixed, then you will have something special!
David Z –
Perhaps my favorite Lure, lol. Its all the wahoo wanted on my first trip out. Can’t believe I have not been using this in past tournaments. Ran great, got beat up a bit in one day but still holds together fine. I’ll be getting some more.
David Brackmann –
Your Desperado Lure is a killer for us on the Caliente in Cabo! Hands down the best producing wahoo lure I run now. Thanks again!
Tony Elias (verified owner) –
Guess what!! Got my first yellowfin on the planer with your red desperado!! Small one though only 30kg.. hopefully we get bigger ones soon